Live Lice and Nit Prevention, Control, and Treatment Protocol
Initial Identification of Infestation
Cases of lice should be confirmed by the RN or health staff.
- All students identified with live lice will be sent home at the end of the school day after contacting parent/guardian by phone. Parents/Guardians will be advised to treat their child for head lice. The name of the treatment product must be provided by the parent/guardian on the treatment letter. After treatment has been completed, the student can return to school.
- Educational materials about treatment and prevention should be provided to parent/guardian.
- Implementation of SB 1566:Elementary campuses shall provide written or electronic notice to the parent of each child assigned to the same classroom as the child with lice not later than the fifth school day after the date on which the administrator or nurse, as applicable, determines or becomes aware of that fact.The notice must include the recommendations of the CDC about treatment and prevention of lice and may not identify the child with lice.
- Students identified with nits only will have their parent/guardian contacted to see if treatment has taken place within the last seven days. The name of the treatment product must be provided by the parent/guardian on the treatment letter.
- If treatment has occurred within the last week, the student may stay in school. Educational material about nit removal and prevention of lice should be provided to parent/guardian.
- If treatment has not occurred in the last seven days, the student should be sent home at the end of the day for treatment and removal of lice (AAP, 2010). Educational materials about treatment and prevention of lice should be provided to parent/guardian. Once treatment has been completed, the student can return to school.
Requirements for Readmission to School
- Student must bring proof of treatment or a statement verifying treatment signed by parent/guardian.
- If the student has been treated and provides proof of treatment the student may be readmitted to school
- If written proof of treatment is not provided then parent/guardian will be contacted for student to be sent home until written proof of treatment is provided.
- If the student is sent to the clinic and live lice are found at re-check, the parent/guardian should be contacted to discuss the adequacy of treatment. The student will be sent home from school unless otherwise recommended by the clinic assistant or RN.
Treatment Failures and Frequent Re-infestations
- If live lice are found repeatedly, the campus administrator and the RN should be notified. The parent/guardian will be contacted to discuss further recommendations.
Classroom Control Measures:
- A health staff member will provide teachers with the "Checklist for Classroom Lice Control." Contact the RN for any questions regarding classroom lice control.
- Teachers are expected to follow the guidelines to prevent the spread of lice.
- At all times, schools are encouraged to discontinue fabric-covered items, i.e., pillows, blankets used by more than one child. Teachers are encouraged to separate all coats/sweaters. Teachers, Assistants, and Monitors should not allow piling of coats.